I have created a little WordPress plugin in the shape of a widget, which allows the user to display an excerpt of a page in a sidebar area of their choice. It in fact now is online in the WordPress Plugin repository: Page Excerpt Widget. Feel free to test and rate it!
I wrote this to replace a little theme hack I did for a client, where the front page was supposed to have an excerpt of a page on the front page, of course linking to the full page. Instead of keeping it that way and hard coding the page-id, I wanted something where the end user could change which page was supposed to be linked.
Right now you can:
- Define the amount of characters to use as an excerpt
- Select the page from all existing pages
- Link the title of the page, to the page
- Append a link to the page
- Decide a custom label for the read more link
- the possibility for multiple instances of the widget
- some internationalisation
Link to the github repository of the plugin, since I prefer git over svn: https://github.com/JonathanMH/page-excerpt-widget